The Project Defined


























50 years ago, in the summer of 1973, I was glued to the televised coverage of the Watergate Hearings. Day after day, observing the faces and demeanor of the conspirators from the lowly plumbers to the top dogs Haldeman and Ehrlichman to the surprise starring role of Alexander P. Butterfield. I began sketching the characters who were about to bring down the president of the United States, Richard M Nixon. 

Now in the summer of 2023, a former president is about to face the music -- finally!  More characters for me to observe and draw, this time I will be using official mug shots for the indicted, and official portraits for the prosecution and the presiding judges.  A much bigger cast of characters. As I work on the renderings, I am trying to find the moment of inhalation as the picture was snapped and in that moment, what emotions were swirling around? 

Of note, I have spent far more time the past 50 years doing theatre rather than drawing. Now that I am officially retired from theatre, I have returned to my drawing roots. 

This project is a way to revive old drawing muscles and improve long neglected skills.

When I first saw Fani Willis, I knew I wanted to draw her. She is the epitome of strength and composure in the face of what will be her most difficult indictee! Prosecutor Fani Willis says she is ready to try all 19 defendants in Atlanta, GA. This has produced scrambling with some seeking swift trials while others waiving their right to a speedy trial. My guess is the she is not going to tolerate shenanigans from the indicted! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cathy Latham, Fake Elector

A visit to a comic book shop